A security guard lost 2.65 lakhs to a cyber fraudster while attempting to recover 399 deducted from his bank account for mobile phone recharge.
Modus Operandi Of The Mumbai Cyber Fraud Case
The cyber fraud victim works as a security guard in a Taloja company. When he arrived at work on February 4, he received a message informing him that his Jio SIM card had been auto-charged and 399 had been deducted from his account.
The cyber fraud victim used Google to find and dial the customer service phone number. The customer service representative sent him a link and instructed him to install an app by clicking on it.
The complainant followed the instructions and provided bank account information via the link. He received an OTP after sharing all of the details.
1.65 lakh was deducted from his account immediately after entering the OTP. The cyber thief then forced the complainant to enter the account details of another bank and demanded that he enter the OTP
Tips to Avoid Cyber Fraud
- Update your computers and mobile devices. The best defence against viruses, malware, and other online threats is to use the most recent security software, web browser, and operating system. Enable automatic updates to receive the most recent fixes as they become available.
- Create secure passwords. A strong password is at least eight characters long and contains a combination of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Keep an eye out for phishing scams. Phishing scams use bogus emails and websites to trick users into disclosing personal or login information. Do not click on links, attachments, or pop-up windows from unfamiliar sources.
- Personal information should be kept private. Hackers can use social media profiles to determine your passwords and answer security questions in password reset tools. Lock down your privacy settings and avoid posting personal information such as birthdays, addresses, mother’s maiden name, and so on. Be cautious of requests to connect with strangers.
- Protect your internet connection. Always use a password to secure your home wireless network. When connecting to public Wi-Fi networks, be cautious of the data you send over it.
- Shop with caution. Check that the website uses secure technology before you shop online. When you get to the checkout screen, make sure the web address starts with https. In addition, look for a tiny locked padlock symbol on the page.
Tips to Report Cyber Fraud
You can send your complaint against a Cyber Fraud email or letter. To find the contact information for the cyber cell police in different cities, look in the table that is provided below.
Note: If you don’t find useful information in the Table given below you can connect directly with the GOI Cybercrime portal @ cybercrime.gov.in.
|Place||Contact||Address and Email||Website|
|ACP, Cyber Crime Cell, Commissioner office Campus Egmore, Chennai- 600008|
E-mail id: email@example.com
For Rest of Tamil Nadu,
Address: Cyber Crime Cell, CB, CID, Chennai
E-mail id: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Cyber Crime Police Station, C.O.D Headquarters, Carlton House, No. 1, Palace Road, Bangalore-1|
+91-040-2329 7474 (Fax)
|Cyber Crime Police Station, Crime Investigation Department, 3rd Floor, D.G.P. office, Lakdikapool, Hyderabad–4|
|CBI Cyber Crime Cell:, Superintendent of Police, Cyber Crime Investigation Cell, Central Bureau of Investigation,|
5th Floor, Block No.3, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi – 110003
|Sri Balmiki Marg, Inside Hazratganj Police Station, DM Compound Colony, Hazratganj, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh 226001|
Email ID: NA
Wisdom Ganga is a Blogging Site that Aims to Make People Aware of Online Scam and other Digital Knowledge. Scam Topics are very sensitive issues that have taken the shape of Crime. The majority of people are not aware of such things. Please help us to make people aware of Scam and Cyber Crime by sharing this knowledge and article with others. Also Help Us by following us on Instgram, Facebook and Twitter.
Our team at Wisdomganga is constantly working to recognise scams such as the Gurugram Cyber Fraud and other possible scams and is focused on making everyone aware of them. If you find this article useful, you can now order a cup of coffee for our team as a token of appreciation.