What is Ajio Scam?
Story: Delhi High Court issued directive to the Delhi Police’s Cyber Cell to start a probe and check into large scale scam that involves the fraudulent collection of funds using the name of popular online fashion and lifestyle brand AJIO.
Reliance Industries, the operator of the e-commerce platform AJIO.com filed a complaint about a scam running under the guise of AJIO.
The directive was given by the Justice Prathiba M. Singh. In her order, she has instructed the Delhi Police’s Cyber Cell to promptly adhere to legal procedures and submit a progress report.
She has also granted the police the liberty to submit additional requests if they deem it necessary to safeguard the welfare of the general public.
Modus Operandi of Ajio Scam
Scammers use the unscrupulous scheme in which scammers employ scratch coupons, cards, and prize money to deceive their target (innocent people).
The use the name of AJIO and operate under the pretense to be real AJIO. Later they lure their victims to deposit money into their fraud schemes.
Every scammer scheme is based on two human fundamental emotions i.e., FEAR and GREED. In this Ajio Scam scammers use the ‘Greed’.
They told their victims in deceptive messages that they have won prize money in the range of Rs. 7, 50, 000 to Rs. 10, 00, 000 through scratch card coupons. Fraudulent messages asked the recipients to claim their prize money by following their instructions.
When people react to such messages and start conversation with scammers then they made people believe that they have really won the prize. And please believe us, we all are human and we all want to win a big lottery. It is the inner most desire of a human being and that is why people fall into the greed trap set by scammers.
After this, scammers asked around Rs. 5000 as processing fees, admission fees, advance government taxes etc.
Reliance Lawsuit: Ajio scam
The company want to protest its trademark and logo of ‘AJIO’ as scammers are using it. Their lawsuit contains the name of 6 individuals who stand accused of sending misleading messages or notifications under the disguise of ‘Ajio Online Shopping Pvt. Ltd’, purportedly based in Kolkata.
The scammers use various mobile numbers and bank accounts to receive funds from the victims. They even convinced their preys to not use the AJIO’s official customer care numbers.
Address of used by scammers is “City Tower Complex Sasthitala Lane Atghara, New town Kolkata, West Benga;- Bengal’.
Delhi High Court Order on Ajio Scam
HC also expressed in its order that individual scammers are organizing these scam projects with one purpose only i.e., illegally collecting money in the name of AJIO and AJIO Online Shopping Private Limited.
Justice Singh ordered the immediate freezing of the bank accounts sued by the scammers and called for complete statements of these form inception till date, including KYC details and any other information available with the respective banks.
HC also ordered telecom service providers to immediately block all the numbers used by the scammers as provided by RIL and find the identity of the individuals who had registered the mobile numbers.
“The court is convinced that this appears to be a large-scale operation carried out by unscrupulous individuals with the intention of collecting money under the name of ‘AJIO’ and ‘AJIO Online Shopping Pvt. Ltd.’,” Justice Singh said.
“The letters and the scratch cards, etc., are so convincing that any customer or recipient would be unable to distinguish between the plaintiff’s (RIL) communications and those of the said entity or person,” she added.
First Few Steps to do If you got Scammed
- If you think you get scammed, read the article: What to do next when you get scammed?
- How to Recover Your Money from Scammers?
- Contact your bank/ financial institution ASAP: If you used a credit card or debit card for payment, it is advisable to immediately reach out to your bank or financial institution and request them to cancel the transaction and refund your money. Additionally, you should report fraudulent website and request them to block any future charges from it.
- Change Passwords ASAP: In case you have registered an account or used the same password for other online accounts, it is recommended to change your passwords immediately. Additionally, if possible, you should activate two-factor authentication for your accounts. This security measure will help prevent unauthorized access by hackers and safeguard your personal information.
- Beware of phishing emails: It is possible that you may receive emails from them or other sources that appear to be related to your order or offer you discounts or refunds. However, these emails could be phishing attempts aimed at deceiving you into clicking on malicious links or downloading attachments that may infect your device with malware or steal your information. It is advisable to delete such emails and avoid opening any links or attachments from them.
- Use content blocker: The use of content blockers can be beneficial in preventing malicious ads, Trojans, phishing attacks, and other unwanted content that may not be detected by an antivirus software alone.
Wisdom Ganga is a Blogging Site that Aims to Make People Aware of Online Scam and other Digital Knowledge.
Scam Topics are very sensitive issues that have taken the shape of Crime. The majority of people are not aware of such things.
Please help us to make people aware of Scam and Cyber Crime by sharing this knowledge and article with others.
Also Help Us by following us on Instgram, Facebook and Twitter.
Our team at Wisdomganga is constantly working to recognize all the possible scams and is focused on making everyone aware of them. If you find this article useful, you can now order a cup of coffee for our team as a token of appreciation.